Pages

Sunday 7 February 2010

Snowmageddon 2010

Some call it Snowpocalypse and President Obama calls it Snowmageddon.  This weekend the Washington Area received about 30 inches (76cm) of snow in most areas and Dulles International Airport recorded 32.4 (82.3 cm) of snow, breaking the January 1996 {en:Knickerbocker Storm} record of 23.2 inches (58.9 cm) of snow.   This is impressing considering that Washington, according to the National Weather Service, has gotten more than a foot of snow only 13 times since 1870.



As for me, I was stuck in my house in Arlington, VA with some friends and we ventured out on to Lee Highway and I-66 (picture below on I-66 on-ramp) until a police officer screamed at us to go back.  When the snow storm died down, I dug up my car and took it for a spin or should I say a couple of spins  (literary).   Other friends where stuck in Falls Church, VA watching 2 girls one cup and others in Washington DC.

Even though I did not see it, I heard that hundreds of people crowded in Dupont Circle in D.C. for a large snowball fight (picture below) and that Connecticut Ave. became a skiing avenue.  Also, along the National Mall skiers lapped the Relecting Pool, a tree limb fell on one of the Presidential SUV motorcade carring members of the press, and that some people where using the steps of the Lincoln monument as a slope to slide down on.  Here are some pictures that I took, except for the snowball fight in Dupont, which a friend who lives there took.   One picture shows a car completely buried in snow and two other pictures show how my balcony (a.k.a the Bastardales lounge)  looked like after the storm.







1 comment:

  1. hahahaha, perfect description...but...you just missed to mention that we have no light for many hours....but we'll survive....lol.
    Great inform Tris!

    ReplyDelete